Online Learning Orientation & Readiness Assessment
Online Learning Opportunities Through Elk Rapids Schools
- Elk Rapids High School (ERHS) & Sunrise Academy Alternative High School offers well over 100 courses through several online vendors including PLATO Courseware by Edmentum, Brigham Young University Online High School, and Michigan Virtual High School as well as state approved courses listed in Michigan's Online Course Catalog. The course catalogs listed below for each vendor can be considered the course catalog for Elk Rapids High School.
- PLATO Courseware by Edmentum - A PLATO online course catalog is available at www.edmentum.com/course-catalog?grade=386&subject=All&state=146 The list of available PLATO courses can also be seen below in two scrollable documents titled "Secondary Academic Library" and "Career and Technical Education Packages". For enrollment in Plato courses, contact Principal Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org or Counselor Bueby at email@example.com.
- Brigham Young University (BYU) High School Online - Additionally, through BYU students have access to over 100 independent study online high school courses. A BYU course catalog is available at is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=hs#university=false|high-school=on|middle-school=false|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=on|paper=on
- Michigan Virtual High School - Elk Rapids High School students can also take a variety of specialty and advanced courses through a division of Michigan Virtual University known as Michigan Virtual High School (MIVHS). The course catalog for Michigan Virtual High School can be found at michiganvirtual.org/courses/students/?level=hs
- Michigan's Online Course Catalog - Elk Rapids High School (resident) students or non-resident students may also be eligible through Section 21F of the State School Aid Act to take state approved courses listed in Michigan's Online Course Catalog available at the following link: micourses.org/PublicUsers/CatalogSearch.aspx?Area=S If you are interested in taking courses listed in this catalog, please contact Mike Travis, Principal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For enrollment in PLATO, BYU, or MIVHS courses, please contact Counselor Bueby at email@example.com or Principal Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Most PLATO, MIVHS, and BYU courses offered through Elk Rapids Schools are aligned with the Michigan Merit Curriculum High School Content Expectations and/or the Common Core State Standards and/or and/or the Next Generation Science Standards and/or the College Board standards established for Advanced Placement courses.
- All online courses through Elk Rapids Schools are in 18 week semester format and are worth 0.50 credit per course. This is equivalent to the per course credit earned for traditional courses. All Michigan Merit Curriculum courses required for graduation and many additional elective courses are available online.
- Elk Rapids High School students can take 1 or 2 online courses each semester during the regular school day in the Online Learning Lab. This small 12 workstation computer lab is located within the ERHS Media Center. Sunrise Academy students can also take 1 or 2 online courses during the regular school day.
- There is no fee (cost) to students and families for online courses during the regular academic year. There is still a per course fee for courses taken during summer school.
Answer: Yes. In addition to cost limits, there are five approved specific reasons for
denial, including: 1) the student has previously gained the credits provided from the completion of the online
course; 2) the online course is not capable of generating academic credit; 3) the online course is inconsistent
with the remaining graduation requirements or career interests of the student; 4) the student does not possess
the prerequisite knowledge and skills to be successful in the online course or has demonstrated failure in
previous online coursework in the same subject; and 5) the online course is of insufficient quality or rigor. If a
district denies a student enrollment because the online course is of insufficient quality or rigor, the district shall
make a reasonable effort to assist the student to find an alternative online course in the same or similar subject
that is of acceptable rigor and quality.
- 22 Credits must be completed in order for a student to graduate with an Elk Rapids High School or a Sunrise Academy diploma. Students that desire an ERHS or Sunrise Academy diploma must complete at least 18 credits in the traditional classroom setting. In other words, unless an exception is granted by the Principal, a student may NOT apply more than 8.0 online credits (16 courses) toward the 22 credits required for an official ERHS or Sunrise Academy diploma. A specialized Elk Rapids Schools diploma may be award for students that exceed 8.0 online credits.
- Students that desire 4 or more courses per semester online must enroll through Sunrise Academy and will be considered a "virtual student" for pupil accounting. This includes those students that want to take all online coursework in the home setting. Students considering a full-time virtual learning experience should contact Principal Travis at email@example.com.